Tuesday 9 April 2013

Goodbye Ark Christian School!


Yes, it had to happen at some point, unfortunately… Boo My last week at the Ark Christian school was rather unusual and very busy, but fun in a special way. Because I was the only staff not really attached permanently to any class, Miss Judy asked if I would be ok with leading a field trip that week.
Up in Mijas, a little pueblo on the side of the mountain above Fuengirola, there is a shop that calls itself “The smallest Chocolate Factory” in the world. The idea was to take all four elementary classes up there one at a time to learn about chocolate and of course, to make some of their own. Who could resist that idea? So I said yes.

All the ingredients to be added to our chocolate bars... mmmmmmm!

Hard at work!


It was fun to spend a day with each of the classes I had worked with over the course of three months and make fun memories. On Monday it was 3-4. The day was sunny and amazingly warm, giving us the opportunity to go for a scenic walk and even to see all the way to Africa.  On Tuesday when it was 5-6’s turn it poured rain. Not quite as nice, so we skipped the walk and came back to school early. Fortunately the weather cleared up for Wednesday and Thursday when we took 1-2 and preschool. Lots of time in the park and we even stopped to visit and pet the donkeys that Mijas is famous for.

Dried cocoa bean


Great hats!


Miss Nat, vibrating the chocolate bars so the bubbles escape


Miss Nat, the chocolatier, was warm and friendly and did a wonderful job of guiding us through the steps of making and molding chocolate. She also gave us the history of chocolate and the method by which it is harvested and processed to become the dark, creamy treat we love so much.

Friday the 22nd of March was my last day. It happened to be elementary assembly, so after her presentation was done, Miss Jo called me up and gave me cards that the whole school had helped make and sign. So very touching J The school also gave me a beautiful set of jewelry and a stylish flamenco apron! Can’t wait to wear it when I’m back in my apartment cooking again!

 



Everybody's handprints, and my snazzy apron :)

Lots of the students came to give me hugs when the day ended and several kept asking if they couldn’t just bribe one of the Pringles to steal my passport so that I couldn’t leave! I truly felt like I had been of use during my time and made a difference, even in my small way.

Reception with Miss Christina and Miss Jo


Year 1-2 with Miss Elena

Year 5-6 with Miss Tanya

Year 3-4 normally with Miss Louise, but today
with Miss Adi

Group Hug!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment