Friday 4 October 2013

The Places I've Seen: England (2)


The trip continued in...

Swannage. I got to dip my feet in the English Channel! And eat fish ‘n’ chips with my fingers. Also, we sang our final concert here. We had a wonderful audience and it was truly a grand finale.

It felt pretty much just like the Pacific... cold!





Salisbury. Probably no visit to south-western England would be complete without Salisbury. The room Tara and I shared was incredibly floral in every way and had a heated towel rack in the bathroom! The cathedral, my favorite of all, has the tallest spire in England. The marble pillars on the inside are actually bending slightly from the weight of the roof and spire, but somehow it manages to seem slender, graceful and elegant.  Stonehenge was a highlight of the day here as well. It was pouring rain, but that simply added to the mystique and spectacle. Massive boulders of unknown origin, set up by unknown people for unknown reasons, shrouded in swirling mist for time immemorial.









London.  In the evening a group of us went for Italian food and then to the musical “Spamalot”.  Being a Monty Python spoof of King Arthur and the quest for the Holy Grail, it was over the top, ridiculous and a fun experience!  My only other desire in London was to visit the British Museum, which we did the following day. So many artifacts that I have seen in textbooks were there on display. I think we gasped every time we turned around






East Indian treats with Samuel in London!!!



Buckingham Palace in the evening

Rosetta Stone...


To finish off the trip with every spare minuted full of activity, we were able to visit Windsor Castle on our way to the airport. A memorable way to say goodbye to a country where I now have so many memories! :)























The End

No comments:

Post a Comment